Sunday, August 12, 2012

Tracking the walking!

Android market is buzzing. Apps are available for every need. The amateurs are also finding their pleasure in the creative task of developing android applications. Technology is spinning out products that the human life on earth never imagined.

GPS facility is a great value addition to the mobile apps. I was showing my mother how my mobile locates my place on earth. She was awe-struck! Had Rama used a GPS tracker, he wouldn’t have missed Sita. We are blessed with the technology, which Lord Rama had no clue to.

There are innumerable apps that track our movements also. They also document the movement of the mobile on Google Maps/Earth.

One such free app is ‘Sports Tracker’. I downloaded it from Android market and installed in my mobile. It records the distance walked, duration, average speed, max speed, pace, Energy spent in Kcal,..etc. Neat amazement. Very useful for sportsmen, also for walkers. Its added features are the activities get recorded, documented and stored on http://www.sports-tracker.com. It analyses the user’s performance and suggests tips for improvement.

Today morning I used this app while walking with my family members in Amaravati area of Hospet. My walk was mapped by this app and it is here.

Shashidhar's morning walk in Hospet town mapped by GPS app

Last year my final year students developed a project of pedometer which counted the number of steps in walking. That used a dedicated microcontroller- and it was a separate device to carry. How many extra fittings for a common man! We need to shift our product development activities to be based around the existing hand held gadgets. Engineering students too, let, pick up this passion! Technology is no gibberish!

No comments:

Post a Comment